The Bicycle Wrap Skirt campaign was fully funded on KICKSTARTER! Check out our video here:
What is it?
Skirts and dresses are a huge part of a woman's wardrobe, but they can be impractical during lively activities. That's why we designed the Bicycle Wrap Skirt, a life-friendly skirt with hidden fasteners to prevent fly-up, a deep pocket and removable hip pouch, and two removable external straps to keep the skirt out of a bike tire when biking.
It's classic and functional, designed to be worn to the office, a cocktail party, the park, and anywhere in between without necessitating a change of clothes or a change of transportation. And because we're an earth-conscious & ethical business, it's sewn using soft sustainable materials right here in the USA.
In 2015, we raised funding through a FastPitch business competition for startups in Savannah, crowdfunding at ONE Spark Festival, Kickstarter, and online pre-orders. We exceeded our funding goals on Kickstarter by 200% and were fully funded on June 25th, which allowed us to produce our first batch of skirts at an employee-owned sew shop in North Carolina.
We believe that form, fashion, and sustainable design go hand-in-hand - that apparel should be versatile enough to take you through a whole day regardless of what activities you have planned. This is why we plan to turn the Bicycle Wrap Skirt into a line of smart sustainable clothing. We will be creating three other styles including a skirt for cooler weather, a second version of the BWS using US grown cotton, and a dress with similar functionality. We couldn't be more excited!
About the Skirt
The Bicycle Wrap Skirt is designed to be versatile, functional, and durable - to get a woman through a whole day regardless of activity.
- Built-in hidden fastening system under bottom hem so you won't have to worry about skirt fly-up
- Deep built-in pocket on the hip
- Removable fabric hip pouch with button closure that slides on and off the waistband for a phone and driver's license or small wallet
- Two removable fabric straps to prevent the skirt from blowing backwards into the rear bike tire while biking. Bonus! These can also be used on other skirts!!
FABRIC AND FIT:
- The fabric is a linen/cotton blend (machine washable)
- Available in two lengths, short and tall (2 inches difference)
- The short measures 19 inches from the bottom of the waistband to the hem, and the long measures 21 inches from the bottom of the waistband to the hem
- High waisted design to flatter most sizes and body shapes
- The waistband is 3.5 inches tall on both skirts and is designed to be worn above the hips
- Wrap skirt style with adjustable waistband
- Fits sizes 0-14
- Fit tested on waists measuring 23 - 37 inches
- And for those of you still wondering, it is all skirt. No - it's NOT a skort!
Be the first to hear about it!
Sign up to receive updates about the Bicycle Wrap Skirt, new designs, and exclusive discounts.
After you sign up, be sure to check your inbox. You'll get a one-time 15% off coupon to apply towards your first purchase in our shop (sale items excluded).
We know this skirt is going places. Literally, and probably on a bike. :) It needs to withstand the wear and tear of an active lifestyle and last for years. The design is a classic high-waisted style for all shapes and sizes. Because it's a linen-cotton blend, you have the durability and breathability of linen with the softness of cotton. Modest and fun at the same time, it's easy to pair with any of the shirts or shoes that women already have in their closets; and we are using a high quality fabric and materials with longevity.
Much time and planning has gone into the materials and design of the skirt. Below is a list of our design and sourcing priorities:
- Durable materials
- Biodegradable materials
- Sourced from responsible manufacturers
- Natural or fiber reactive dyes
- Regionally sewn in the USA
- Fewer sizes to minimize exchanges and inventory
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Lower carbon footprint
Best of all, the Bicycle Wrap Skirt allows women to bike more frequently, reducing carbon emissions and closing the gender gap in biking. That's right guys, it will be easier than ever to convince your lady friends to bike to dinner!